27 May 2006

Lucky. Very lucky.

Never have I felt so grateful to God for His kindness. There was a large earthquake in Yogyakarta on Java early this morning (or late last night GMT). Over 1000 people have died. My parents and youngest brother were there for the weekend but thankfully are safe. I didn't know about this until my Aunt called me early this morning and told me about it and I'm watching footage of it on the news as I type.

I've just got through to my Mum who confirmed that they're alright. The airport has crumbled so they couldn't fly out but they're on an emergency bus out to Jakarta right now. They were saved this morning by the fortunate choice of deciding to go and see the sunrise at Borobudur, which is outside the city and, most importantly, in an open space away from any buildings that could have fallen on them. Who knows what would have happened if they had just stayed in bed in their hotel with a roof and the city crumbling around them.

I thank God so much for His kindness in keeping my family safe and also pray for His help for those who have died or have been injured or lost their houses. It's put things in perspective for me as well. I was shattered last night after finishing the first week of exams and was a bit worried about some mistakes I knew I'd made on the papers. Today's news are just another reminder about the bigger picture of life. There are more important things to worry about than exams.

I'm a very lucky man. Thanks and praises be to God.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your family is safe, mus...

12:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks guys!

06:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home